Caring For Miami is pleased to announce the launch of a Mobile Food Market this December!
The Mobile Market, an extension of our Backpack Program, will work to address food insecurity by distributing fresh, healthy foods to underserved neighborhoods across Miami Dade County. Together with local community partners our aim is to build and sustain hunger-free communities by closing gaps that exist in access to nutrition and education.
The Market will provide an innovative way to address food insecurity by way of a mobile unit. In addition to the Mobile Market we will be expanding our current storage warehouse facility which will allow us to maximize efforts and increase operations.
For more information and inserts to Frequently Asked Questions keep scrolling.
Donate Now. Change Lives For Eternity.
Help Us Reach Our Goal!
We Can’t Do It Without You
Stay up to date on all the happenings at Caring For Miami and the Mobile Market by subscribing to our newsletter.
Don’t see your question? Give us a call at 786-430-1051.
What Is The Mobile Market?
The Caring For Miami Mobile Market, an extension of Backpack Program, will work to address food insecurity by distributing fresh, healthy foods to underserved neighborhoods across Miami Dade County by way of a retrofitted Miami Dade Metro Bus.
Why Is This Project Necessary?
According to new county hunger data, 11.6% of the South Florida population is food insecure, with 706,430 people not knowing where they will get their next meal. 83% of the food insecure population qualifies for snap while the other 17% must rely on federal nutrition assistance and emergency meal assistance programs. The budget shortfall per person is $19.32 and the average cost of a meal in South Florida is $3.43. In an even more staggering statistic, data shows that 18.9% of children are going to bed hungry every night, that’s 236,270 children
When Do You Expect The Project To Be Complete?
It is the hope of the organization that the project will be complete and on the road by March 1, 2023. Again, contingent on the supply chain and world events.
Will The Market Only Provide Food?
Through the Mobile Market, Caring For Miami will also provide a nutrition education program that teaches clients about nutritious food, how to make the most of their food budgets, substituting recipe favorites with healthier options, and how nutrition plays an active role in overall health. The nutrition education program will actively provide access to meal plans, recipes, and cooking demonstrations featuring fruits and vegetables with a focus in chronic disease management and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
How Much Fundraising is Still Needed to Support This Project
The total cost of the project is $300,000. Cost has changed in scope due to materials, labor cost and supply chain issues.
Caring For Miami is also hoping to offset the cost of the total project with grant allocated dollars.
Do you want to help fund this project or does your company provide grant dollars to support community based efforts?
Click Here to donate or give us a call at 786-430-1051